gcc vs gcc48

Guido Falsi mad at madpilot.net
Mon Jun 9 16:00:19 UTC 2014

On 06/09/14 17:48, Sean Bruno wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-06-09 at 17:32 +0200, Alex Dupre wrote:
>> Sean Bruno ha scritto:
>>> Ended up in a weird position today running a build.  My poudriere
>>> instance ended up building gcc and gcc48 at the same time.
>>>
>>> I thought this was odd.  Shouldn't gcc48 supplant gcc for requirements?
>>
>> Every port is built independently from the others, so gcc48 is not found
>> when building other ports that doesn't strictly require it.
>>

> Understood.
>
> lang/gcc isn't successfully building at the moment.  So, when I restart
> this build, gcc48 will be detected as built so it will be pulled in.
> Which will in turn start building the ports that were failed on the
> previous run.

No, not in poudriere, in poudriere it will simply notice the gcc48
package is already build and instal that in the jail for the ports
needing it. For ports which were calling lang/gcc it will still try to
build lang/gcc, since it failed and there is no ready to install package.

Was your description what you actually saw happening? this would be very
strange.

> This seems like a broken "feature" of ports IMO.  I.e. non-consistent
> runs.

It is a bad feature of ports on a live system, poudriere avoids
this...at least it should.

--
Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net>