How are ports built now

A.J. 'Fonz' van Werven freebsd at skysmurf.nl
Sat Jun 7 20:22:52 UTC 2014

Paul Schmehl wrote:

> Recently I upgraded two servers to 8.4 and implemented the pkgng system.
[snip]
> Is portmaster not the appropriate method for updating ports with pkgng?

It depends whether you're talking about *building* packages from the ports
tree or installing binary packages.

As for building from ports, Portmaster doesn't care whether you're using
the new PNGNG or the old pkg_* tools.

> Now, when I run portmaster -ad, it seems to keep reinstalling the same
> ports over and over again.

That's strange. Perhaps PKGNG hasn't been initialised properly on your
system(s), that's all I can think of at the moment. Did you use pkg2ng?

> Are we forced to now go to binary packages only?

No, of course not. However, it might be that Portmaster cannot handle
*installing* binary packages in the new format. I'm not sure because I let
Portmaster build PKGNG-style binary packages and use PKGNG to install
those on other jails/systems, but I seem to recall something along the
lines of Portmaster not yet being able to use PKGNG-style binary package
repositories. I might be way off here, though.

AvW

--
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example.