Splitting devel/subversion into SEVERAL ports -- how fine-grained do we want to see it?

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jun 7 20:16:30 UTC 2014

Hello, Ports.

 I've learned proper way to split subversion into several ports. Question
is: how fine-grained should I do this? I want to split it at least  into:

(1) devel/subversion-libs    -- base libs, used by all other ports. Options
                                about SERF, BDB and SASL goes here.
(2) devel/subversion-client  -- all base tools, like "svn", "svnversion" and
                                so on, but not "svnserve".
(3) devel/subversion-server  -- svnserve binary.
(4) devel/subversion-tools   -- additional tools (option now).
(5) devel/subversion-apache  -- all mod_dav_svn-related stuff.
(6) devel/subversion-gnome   -- GNOME KEyRing integration (option now).
(7) devel/subversion-kde     -- KDE KWallet integration (option now).
(8) devel/subversion         -- meta-port with options (and real stuff, like
                                patches and all infrastructure).

But it is possible to extract more options to separate ports: BDB repository
format, remote access with "svn:" scheme and SERF support ("http:" scheme
remote access) could be separate ports (and packages), not options! But
maybe, it is "too much" already?

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at FreeBSD.org>