Who was the mental genius

Paul Schmehl pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com
Fri Jun 6 14:20:17 UTC 2014

--On June 6, 2014 at 8:35:06 AM +0200 John Marino
<freebsd.contact at marino.st> wrote:

> On 6/6/2014 05:37, Paul Schmehl wrote:
>> Something like that would have been more than adequate.  As I pointed
>> out, the warning you get about pkgng and the 9/1/2014 deadline is
>> perfect.  It's been there for a couple of months, and it pops up ever
>> time you do a port. If you miss that and don't convert, you don't have
>> anyone but yourself to blame.
>
> Which is exactly the same case with you and the 8.3 EOL.
> If your business relies involves server maintenance, it's entirely your
> responsibility to track EOL.  How somebody with "senior" in their job
> title is looking to blame everyone else for failing something so basic
> is rich.
>
> You say semantics isn't important?   You say 8.3 isn't "old"?  It may
> not be old compared to a dog, but it reached its published end-of-life.
>  Any expectation you have about support after EOL where probably forged
> by watching Microsoft support XP.  That's not the model to expect.
> Install some mirrors in your house.

I have no idea why you've decided to assume the role of preacher and tell
me what to do, but I can assure you that you are completely ignorant of the
circumstances behind my complaints.  They have absolutely nothing to do
with my professional position.

Regarding your comment about EOL, one thing has been almost constant
throughout my professional career.  When a system goes EOL it isn't
deliberately broken by the vendor.  The system will happily hum along and
function for years after EOL without problems.  Breaking something as vital
as the ports system without proper warning is not a way to win converts to
your platform or to retain those who have used it for a long time.

Again.  I think FreeBSD is a great OS.  It's the only Unix platform I use
(and I've tried them all, trust me.)  It saddens me to see it losing market
share because of tone deaf development processes that ignore the end user.
If I didn't give a shit, I wouldn't have complained.

Your reference to Microsoft is laughable.  I haven't done support or admin
work on a Windows platform in more than sixteen years.

As for your idiotic advice, not everyone in the world has the wherewithal
to "install some mirrors in your house", but my recommendation to you would
be to look in the ones at your house before you ignorantly criticize others.

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst