To all port maintainers: libtool

Alexander Leidinger Alexander at leidinger.net
Fri Jun 6 13:02:42 UTC 2014

Quoting Tijl Coosemans <tijl at freebsd.org> (from Thu, 5 Jun 2014
18:53:03 +0200):

> On Thu, 05 Jun 2014 09:39:21 -0500 Bryan Drewery wrote:
>> I don't know what .la files are used for and have no time currently to
>> research it.
>>
>> What is the impact to non-ports consumers of removing .la files? Do they
>> also need patches to make them build?
>
> Removing a .la file is somewhat like a library version bump.  Anything
> that depends on it needs to be recompiled.

I remember from tests waaaaay in the past that not all programs will
be happy when the .la files are not there. I remember that I once
tried to remove the .la files but it didn't work as the program wanted
to open the .la files (after recompile). Maybe libltdl is openening
them? Did you make some checks/tests in this regard?

Bye,
Alexander.