Who was the mental genius

John Marino freebsd.contact at marino.st
Fri Jun 6 06:35:44 UTC 2014

On 6/6/2014 05:37, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> Something like that would have been more than adequate.  As I pointed
> out, the warning you get about pkgng and the 9/1/2014 deadline is
> perfect.  It's been there for a couple of months, and it pops up ever
> time you do a port. If you miss that and don't convert, you don't have
> anyone but yourself to blame.

Which is exactly the same case with you and the 8.3 EOL.
If your business relies involves server maintenance, it's entirely your
responsibility to track EOL.  How somebody with "senior" in their job
title is looking to blame everyone else for failing something so basic
is rich.

You say semantics isn't important?   You say 8.3 isn't "old"?  It may
not be old compared to a dog, but it reached its published end-of-life.
 Any expectation you have about support after EOL where probably forged
by watching Microsoft support XP.  That's not the model to expect.
Install some mirrors in your house.