Who was the mental genius

Sergio de Almeida Lenzi lenzi.sergio at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 00:38:10 UTC 2014

For me, I had to upgrade an 8.2 FreeBSD to 10.0 current.
and got the same issue...

What I did was:
1) copy the "make" program from the 10.0 series to replace
the /usr/bin/make
2) copy via tar /usr/src /usr/obj from the 10.0 to the 8.2

cd /usr/src
export KERNCONF to the config in /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf

make installworld
make installkernel
save old /etc .....
make distribution
this install the new rc.d and /etc/files
than copy
back /etc/profile, /etc/master.passwd, /etc/group, /etc/rc.conf...
to /etc
fix the /boot/loader.conf....
Than boot the system in 10.0 stable...

After that... the ports and portmaster started working again...
so I took a list of the packages...
pkg info -qo > /tmp/pkglist
than delete all packages.....
pkg delete -fay
than pkg install $(cat /tmp/pkglist), this will install all the packages
direct from freebsd.org
some will not install as they do not exists.. in freebsd.org
so...  using portmaster --no-confirm $(cat /tmp/pkglist)  builds the
system  in complete order
that is now running on 10.0 stable...
the hole process took about 6 hours..  I did it remote during the
night...

Hope it can help....