[FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD bug tracking moves from GNATS to Bugzilla

Wed Jun 4 07:46:20 UTC 2014

On 04.06.2014 02:34, Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 03, 2014 at 01:50:23PM -0700, Eitan Adler wrote:
>>> I don't concede killing anonymous means killing trivial bug reporting,
>>> but if that was the case: Oh well, I guess we have to focus on
>>> non-trivial bugs.
>>
>> Trivial bugs are important too.
>
> I'll echo eadler a bit here, but with a different emphasis.
>
> What _I_ consider a trivial bug is based on my own past experiences
> with FreeBSD.  Someone who is new to it and is submitting their first
> bug may not see it as trivial.  We don't wish to discourage them.
>
> Discouraging people from contributing is counterproductive.  We need
> more contributors, not less.
>
> I know for certain that people in the past have given up after submitting
> PRs that were never answered.  While I know we don't have the manpower to
> deal with all of them, that should at least be our ideal.

Yes. It is really frustrating to create a bug-report with a complete
patch just to wait for some months and seeing that nothing happens. And
even after offering help it is closed with "timeout" and the bug still
exists.

And yes: trivial bugs are important. If something trivial not work, why
use it? So it should be very easy to submit a report.

Greetings,
Torsten