databases/sqldeveloper: observations & questions

Beeblebrox zaphod at berentweb.com
Tue Jun 3 18:21:12 UTC 2014

Hi. First off, a big thanks to who whoever ported this, it's a nice piece of
software.
I wanted to share some observations plus questions.

* I have "JAVA_PREFERRED_PORTS=JAVA_PORT_NATIVE_OPENJDK_JDK_1_8". Although
sqldeveloper complains on startup that max logical version is =1.8, my
finding is that defining SetJavaHome to openjdk7 actually does worse - Xorg
freezes and needs to be restarted. openjdk 1.8+ is working quite well (on
11-C).
* After starting sqldeveloper, I wanted to install plugins (Help > Check
Updates > Updates), in particular CVS_Support. This failed due to
"insufficient privileges". So unlike NetBeans, sqldeveloper is trying to
install some of the binaries under /usr/local?
* Being the genius that I am, I did a temporary "chown" to my user of folder
/usr/local/share/java/sqldeveloper. Plugins started to install but gave an
error message at some point. Starting "sqldeveloper -verbose" after this
step crashes with below:
at org.netbeans.core.netigso.Netigso.findResources(Netigso.java:379)
at org.netbeans.NetigsoModule.findResources(NetigsoModule.java:177)
at org.netbeans.core.startup.NbInstaller.loadLayers(NbInstaller.java:625)
at org.netbeans.core.startup.NbInstaller.loadImpl(NbInstaller.java:356)
at org.netbeans.core.startup.NbInstaller.access$000(NbInstaller.java:105)
at org.netbeans.core.startup.NbInstaller$1.run(NbInstaller.java:346)
at org.openide.filesystems.FileUtil$2.run(FileUtil.java:431)
at
org.openide.filesystems.EventControl.runAtomicAction(EventControl.java:127)
at org.openide.filesystems.FileSystem.runAtomicAction(FileSystem.java:609)
at org.openide.filesystems.FileUtil.runAtomicAction(FileUtil.java:415)
at org.openide.filesystems.FileUtil.runAtomicAction(FileUtil.java:435)
at org.netbeans.core.startup.NbInstaller.load(NbInstaller.java:343)
at org.netbeans.ModuleManager.enable(ModuleManager.java:1188)
at org.netbeans.ModuleManager.enable(ModuleManager.java:1011)
at org.netbeans.core.startup.ModuleList.installNew(ModuleList.java:340)
at org.netbeans.core.startup.ModuleList.trigger(ModuleList.java:276)
at org.netbeans.core.startup.ModuleSystem.restore(ModuleSystem.java:301)
at org.netbeans.core.startup.Main.getModuleSystem(Main.java:181)
at org.netbeans.core.startup.Main.getModuleSystem(Main.java:150)
at org.netbeans.core.startup.Main.start(Main.java:307)
at org.netbeans.core.startup.TopThreadGroup.run(TopThreadGroup.java:123)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Error: SQL Developer can't recognize the JDK version
* I started NetBeans as well, but did not find any comparabel plugins with
what I was trying to install in sqldeveloper.

So my point is,
1. Has anyone found a way to install the plugins?
2. This software seems to share a lot with NetBeans. Maybe it's possible to
import sqldeveloper as a NetBeans project? It may also be possible to
install the sqldeveloper plugins under ~/.netbeans together with other
oracle_java modules as the modules appear quite similar.

Thanks again.

-----
FreeBSD-11-current_amd64_root-on-zfs_RadeonKMS