[FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD bug tracking moves from GNATS to Bugzilla

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Tue Jun 3 18:12:00 UTC 2014

On 3 June 2014 10:11, John Marino <freebsd.contact at marino.st> wrote:
> ... it's doubtful most folks unwilling to register are
> about to make a meaningful report...

This is *not* the reason for registation.

The reason for registation is that we know from experience that having
a way to talk with the reporter drastically increases the chance that
the bug will get fixed.  Registration offers verification of the
submitters email.
We would rather get fewer higher quality and more engaged bugs than
what we've had in the past where bugs were a one way vent.

To preempt the next question: why don't we allow users to submit via
email but verify with a token?   That system isn't possible with how
the gateway is set up now.  Its a long term possability.  If someone
wants to help set that up please contact me offline (at bugmeister@).

What about bug followups via email?  That one won't be supported for a
bit as we get used to bugzilla.  It certainly on the cards to support
in the future.

--
Eitan Adler