Problem fetching for textproc/qt4-xml

Thomas Mueller mueller6724 at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 1 07:35:30 UTC 2014

I had a problem downloading the big distfile for textproc/qt4-xml, didn't post on the emailing list the first time, but this happened last night with 4.8.6, after previously happening with 4.8.5.

It would be unable to connect, or it would connect and then after getting partway through, stop and go to another server and start again.

I use Hiro H50191 USB-stick wireless adapter, device rsu, which normally works, but something strrange happens with this port.

I got around this problem, first by downloading to a USB stick on the other computer, and sneakernetting, copying to distfiles directory, and then resuming port build.

Last night, wireless connection bugged out, and system crashed (11-head amd64).  Then. after several reboots trying to fix scrambled state of memory on the computer, booted successfully with NetBSD-current amd64, ran "dhcpcd re0", was conected, went into lynx and downloaded the distifile into FreeBSD ports distfiles directory.  I subsequently rebooted into FreeBSD and upgraded the qt4-xml port (4.8.5 was marked vulnerable).

A bug in re(4) prevents me from Ethernet connection in FreeBSD, also OpenBSD and DragonFlyBSD, but OK with NetBSD and Linux.  This puts Hiro H50191 wireless adapter into heavy use for FreeBSD.

This is mysterious to me, why I get stuck on this particular distfile download.  I can download other big things, such as System Rescue CD ISO image.

Tom