print/cups-base won't build due to dwarf error in /usr/bin/ld

Thomas Mueller mueller6724 at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 1 06:39:17 UTC 2014

Seems like this version of cups absolutely requires zeroconf. You can

> configure with either avahi or mdnsresponder, but the build fails if

> neither is specified. I have not looked into it to tell if this is an error

> in the port or that cups now will only run when a zeroconf resolver is

> available.

> Not sure about the dwarf error. I have only seen that when building with

> debug, so I am surprised to see it during the build. It may not be a real

> issue.

> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
I just copy-and-paste, on newcons I get all unwanted double-spacing.

Sorry about this formatting inelegancy.

I do no better with avahi or mdnsresponder, and I tried both.  Just a different error:

===>  Installing for cups-base-1.7.2_1

===>  Checking if print/cups-base already installed

===>   Registering installation for cups-base-1.7.2_1

pkg-static: lstat(/usr/ports/print/cups-base/work11/stage/usr/local/lib/php/2010

0525/phpcups.so): No such file or directory

pkg-static: lstat(/usr/ports/print/cups-base/work11/stage/usr/local/lib/php/2010

0525/): No such file or directory

*** Error code 74

Stop.

make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/print/cups-base

*** Error code 1

Stop.

make: stopped in /usr/ports/print/cups-base

===>>> Installation of cups-base-1.7.2_1 (print/cups-base) failed

===>>> Aborting update

Again, a lot of inelegant extra spacing when I copy-and-paste in newcons.

On the other computer, where I have a freshly installed Seagate 4 TB hard drive, not yet started partitioning, I need to partition and install NetBSD-current, FreeBSD 11-current or 10-stable, followed by Linux.

I am curious to see how cups fares in NetBSD with pkgsrc, or Linux with Gentoo.

Another way is to see if I can print MS-Windows-style with wine and no cups.

Cups is an option with wine, so I don't know if I'd need it to print from wine.

I wish there were an alternative to cups for a printer that requires hplip.

Tom