pkg 1.3.X changed behaviour with pkg -fR xxx

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 22:52:54 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 3:37 PM, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 3:29 PM, Jos Backus <jos at catnook.com> wrote:
> > My impression was that pkg is supposed to be cross-platform and portable,
> > hence not FreeBSD-specific.
> > Jos
>
> I have seen nothing indicating that. It's certainly not going to work with
> any Linux distro. It might be applicable to other BSDs, especially
> DragonFly, but I still believe that FreeBSD bugs belong in the FreeBSD bug
> system. Normally, when maintainers want to dent reports upstream to the
> port developers, it is up to them to do so. So the ports management team
> would be responsible for forwarding bugs to the github system if they think
> it is appropriate.
>
> ​pkg is the default package manager on DragonflyBSD now.  Their dports
setup switched over to it officially a release or two ago.  I believe
they're even using poudriere to build their packages.

However, I agree that pkg bugs on FreeBSD should be added to the FreeBSD
bug tracker.  At the very least, a FreeBSD PR needs to be entered with the
bug number from the pkg bug tracker.  There needs to be a FreeBSD-specific
papertrail for bugs on FreeBSD.​

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com