Lots of installed ports show "succeeds index"

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Jul 26 08:57:58 UTC 2014

On 24/07/2014 18:19, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> If 'pkg version' only took a few seconds for you, I suspect  you had very
> few ports installed. It has always taken minutes for me.
>
> That said, '-P' is much slower than the old default, even though it is
> doing as close as possible to the same thing.

The reason that the -P check is slower is because it now checks not just
for the presence of the port directory, but also that the port is hooked
up to the ports tree.  See

https://github.com/freebsd/pkg/commit/2c84533f4d7291c26fe826a67217fb3c3ab446a5

So you've got a choice here: slow and unreliable versus even slower, but
correct.  Unfortunately the only way to extract version information from
the ports involves running make(1) and that is intrinsically slow.

> I suspect the slow-down is due to the overhead of the solver.  The solver
> fixes many potential pkgdb issues, but it is probably a rather slow fix.
> Perhaps that is why  use of the index is now the default. I have been using
> '-I since moving to pkgng because it is almost instant... far faster then
> the old package system.

No.  The solver simply isn't involved in anything 'pkg version' does.

Personally I think the best experience to be had with pkgng is to use
poudriere to set up your own local repo, and then use 'pkg version -R'
This is actually a lot easier and simpler than you might think, and by
separating the 'compile lots of ports' stage from the 'update what is
running on my system' actions, it makes the required downtime
considerably shorter.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--