Lots of installed ports show "succeeds index"

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 04:24:43 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 7:51 AM, Christian Weisgerber <naddy at mips.inka.de>
wrote:

> >> fine
> installed.
> >>
> >> It isn't in sync with my ports tree
> >
> > Which begs the question, why is it out of sync? If you update your ports
> > tree, all you need to do is:
> > make -C /usr/ports fetchindex (takes a few seconds)
>
> Which fetches an INDEX file that is regularly generated on some
> FreeBSD server, but is not in sync with the exact revision of the
> ports tree I just updated to.
>
> --
> Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy at mips.inka.de

Yes, but the INDEX is guaranteed to  older than your tre, so you never get
the ports installed as being newer than those in the ports tree.

I always issue a fetchindex immediately after an 'svn up /usr/ports' so
they are very close. It's worked for me for many years, going back to CVS
days, of course.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com