Merging several branches with ports tree

Beeblebrox zaphod at berentweb.com
Fri Jul 25 14:13:12 UTC 2014

I have several ports branches that get merged to the ports tree. The
structure is such that a pristine (un-merged) copy of each branch is located
under: /asp/git/ports, /asp/git/marcuscom, /asp/git/linux-c6, /asp/git/my-pc

I then want to copy all files under each branch to /usr/ports using a
combination of rsync and the marcusmerge script. The steps I wish to run:
1. rsync -uav --exclude=.git /asp/git/ports/ /usr/ports/
2. marcusmerge (works, no problem)
3. rsync -av --exclude=.git/ /asp/git/linux-c6/ /usr/ports/ (works, no
problem)
4. rsync -av /asp/git/my-pc/ /usr/ports/

Steps #1 and #4 are the problem.
* a simple "rsync -a OR -ua" in step 1 does not seem to work when rsyncing
onto a merged structure and causes problems. What can I use here, so as to
ensure updates to the primary port tree get written to the combined folder
(/usr/ports)?
* my-pc is a self maintained my ports collection. It has one folder with my
collection in it, but the problem is that the top-level Makefile and
Mk/bsd.port.mk "VALID_CATEGORIES" must be modified to include the myports
collection. How can I merge this set to /usr/ports?

-----
FreeBSD-11-current_amd64_root-on-zfs_RadeonKMS