Problems with portupgrade (maybe due to pkg-1.3) and gnutls3

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 22:43:38 UTC 2014

Today I attempted to upgrade a bunch of ports with 'portmaster -a'. It
failed when it kept trying to install gnutls when I already had gnults3
installed. Turns out that the man pages conflict.

But, why was it trying to install gnutls? I am baffled. The Makefiles have
a LIB_DEPEND on libgnutls.so which is satisfied by the version of libgnutls
installed by gnutls3.

"portmaster gtk-vnc" will attempt to install gnutls, but 'cd
/usr/ports/net/gtk-vnc && make does not try to install it and happily links.

This was not an issue with pkg-1.2 and I suspect that the solver is having
an issue with the dependency on gnutls reading:
libgnutls.so:${PORTSDIR}/security/gnutls

If gnutls3 is installed, it meets the dependency, but I something is
insisting on installing ${PORTSDIR}/security/gnutls even it it is. I
suspect the same issue exists for any other ports where two ports install
different versions of the same shareable library.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com