libressl anyone?

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at michaelwlucas.com
Sat Jul 12 00:16:44 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 04:12:42PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> Now that OpenBSD has released LibreSSL, can someone port it? And maybe try
> putting it into head? I'd love to see OpenSSL gone yesterday.
>
> The initial portable LibreSSL is available from
> http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/LibreSSL. Note that the OpenBSD folks
> say that this release is intended for testing and evealuation, so it is not
> a candidate for any stable or release, but it does build on FreeBSD.
>
> Yes, if I get some time today or tomorrow, I'll try to write up a port, but
> I'm still far from comfortable with the new porting stuff, so it will
> likely take longer that I'd like. Others can probably knock it out in
> nothing flat.

Check out the discussion on tech at openbsd.org.

A fair amount of software is breaking with LibreSSL. For example,
LibreSSL dropped EGD support. Various software (eg Python) checks for
egd, and won't build without EGD.

Mind you, people should certainly try it and see what happens.

==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas  -  mwlucas at michaelwlucas.com, Twitter @mwlauthor
http://www.MichaelWLucas.com/, http://blather.MichaelWLucas.com/