Patch (not perfect but half way there) for DBIx::SearchBuilder...

Michelle Sullivan michelle at sorbs.net
Thu Jul 3 02:52:58 UTC 2014

Matthew, "Demon" (cc'd you two specifically because the patch affects
ports you maintain directly)

I created a patch a while ago and sent it off to Jesse and the RT-Users
mailing list to fix extremely slow loading of tickets for Request-Tracker.

The patch is for DBIx::Searchbuilder->Fields() and you can see it here:
https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Ticket/Attachment/WithHeaders/733854 (bug:
https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=96902 )

If it were to be shipped as an 'option' in FreeBSD ports would it be
attached to DBIx::SearchBuilder or RT 4.x?  (the patch is against
DBIx::SearchBuilder, but very specifically affects RT)

For a brief background on it...  I've been trying to upgrade SORBS
Support from RT3.8 to RT4.0 and ticket loads are 4-6 minutes in RT4.0
compared to my old 3.8 system..  The cause being that the new System has
a Pg cluster of 4 servers which are in their own datacentres.. the RT
'Front Ends' being in public network space in other datacentres.  This
is a fairly standard security model.. put your application servers in a
DMZ (or public network) and keep the Database Servers locked in their
own network..  Just a modest 20ms Ping time and 3 schemas (RT (public),
Bucardo and Postgres) causes the ticket load to be 4-6 minutes per
ticket - single user, 2 frontends.  Patching DBIx::SearchBuilder with
the patch in the bug, drops that down to 7 seconds.

Best Practical have been less than helpful, so thinking about writing a
patch for FreeBSD ports as a new 'option' as most of my servers are
FreeBSD with my own Pkg Repo...  Thoughts?

(Read the bug for the 'half way there' bit - the whole ->Fields() call
has a bad flaw.. and FWIW, a user running MySQL will not be affected by
my patch in any negative way as MySQL is case insensitive for table
names - unlike PostgreSQL and others.)

Best regards,

--
Michelle Sullivan