How to find removed ports in general & math/hexcalc in particular.

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Tue Jan 28 16:05:19 UTC 2014

Dimitry Andric wrote:

> --Apple-Mail=_442D467F-1929-40CE-90B7-0CAD6B1BC540
>
> On 28 Jan 2014, at 16:28, Julian H. Stacey <jhs at berklix.com> wrote:
> > Hi ports at freebsd.org
> > I'm looking for ports/math/hexcalc or replacement it dissapeared after
> > 8.2-RELEASE, it's not in http://www.freebsd.org/ports/math.html
> >
> > How should one find:
> >  Why it dissapeared ?
> > 	(eg maybe it just lacked a maintainer & I have to re-port it? Or ... ?
> >  What to replace it with ?
> >
> > A few days ago I tried tracing another port
> >  (demime) & ploughed through loads of svnweb pages, dividing by 2
> >  until I found exactly the revision when demime had been removed,
> >  but even there no hint why removed or what to use instead.
> >  ( Eventually I used emil instead of demime. )
> >
> > After upgrade, recovering abandoned ports is a chore,
> > What - if any - generalised pointer mechanism, does FreeBSD have
> > for providing a hint of Why a port was deleted, & what to use instead.
>
> Try:
>
> grep demime /usr/ports/MOVED
>
> which will give:
>
> mail/demime||2011-12-28|Has expired: No upstream development since 2007
>
> -Dimitry

Thanks Dimitry :-)

grep hexcalc /usr/ports/MOVED
math/hexcalc||2011-08-01|Has expired: Looks like abandonware, no more public distfiles

I have a local:
	25129 Dec 20  1995 hexcalc..tar.Z
(no idea why 2 dots), anyway its a valid tar.  I have put it up here
	http://berklix.com/~jhs/ftp/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/hexcalc..tar.Z
I'll look at creating a port.  (unless people know of a newer
nice hexcalc ? but this one was always OK for me)

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultant, Munich http://berklix.com
 Interleave replies below like a play script.  Indent old text with "> ".