r341435: deletion of graphics/fotoxx

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Tue Jan 28 14:10:46 UTC 2014

Rainer Hurling <rhurlin at gwdg.de> writes:
> In the meantime, the author of fotoxx, Michael Cornelison, answered to
> me two times. Mike confirms, that the file is fetchable from different
> Linux systems and that in his eyes, there is no problem with reported
> and de facto file length.
>
> Trying to load fotoxx-14.01.1.tar.gz via ftp/wget seems to work without
> problems and gives me a file length of 2696186 (!) bytes.
>
> So I am irritated which file length is right and what's going on here ...

What's going on is that the server accepts persistent connections but
does not have a request timeout set, so libfetch, due to an unexpected
interaction between multiple buffering layers, hangs waiting for more
data while the server hangs waiting for the next request; then libfetch
times out and doesn't notice that it already received exactly the amount
of data it expected.  Most servers have very short request timeouts, so
they close the connection while libfetch is waiting, which libfetch
interprets as an EOF (which is an expected condition as long as it
received all the data it wanted) as opposed to a timeout (which is an
error).  Anyway, it was fixed in head in r261230.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no