What is the problem with ports PR reaction delays?

Alfred Perlstein alfred at freebsd.org
Sun Jan 26 02:04:52 UTC 2014

On 1/25/14 3:48 PM, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 6:41 PM, Yuri <yuri at rawbw.com> wrote:
>
>> On 01/25/2014 14:44, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
>>
>>> The key seems to be that no one has time to do the stuff they really want
>>> to do (get new ports into the system)... to that end automating everything
>>> that can be automated is sure help free up comitter time so they can look
>>> at what is interesting
>>>
>> Yes. I just can't imagine any generic port tests that can't be automated
>> and coded into the script once and for good.
>> Ideal system should be like github with the added automated testing
>> between pull request submission and merge. It should either fail and notify
>> the submitter, or succeed and notify the committers.
>>
> Git hup (or *ANY* remote service for that matter) is a no go IMO

You just don't get it.

Again, you just really, really, don't get it.

You WANT a gateway to a remote service that the project does not have to
handle.

Why?  Because then we offload the problem to another org.

The FreeBSD project should be about innovation in OS design, platform
and software.  Ops work is bunk and just slows us down.

The more we can outsource the better we'll be.  (and what if that
service blows up?  well we move on!  it's simple!)

Continuing to insist that we run the services ourselves it just wasting
our limited resources.  Not only that but we get emotionally attached to
technologies that are old, dying and dead when off the shelf stuff works
just fine.

-Alfred