What is the problem with ports PR reaction delays?

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 25 18:30:46 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 10:25:07AM -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> On 1/25/14 9:48 AM, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 08:16:39PM -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> >>
> >> To me it would speak of tooling as opposed to anything.
> >>
> >> Does the ports system have a 1 or 2 click interface for merging PRs like
> >> for instance github?
> >>
> >> Could ports take PRs in the form of pull requests on github?
> >>
> >> Wouldn't that just turn the number of updates into a few minor clicks?
> >>
> >> (also wouldn't it make it easier for ports submitters)?
> >>
> >> (maybe there is some great ports system that I'm not aware of that makes
> >> this all as easy github, but I somehow doubt that.)
> > That would imho be a total disaster, as less and less people will really take
> > care of reviewing the actual patch (lots of commits are already directly from Pr
> > patches without applying some necessary diff for consistency, correctness, Q/A
> > and cosmetic.)
> >

> You are not serious.
>
> You are saying that because the process would be too streamlined that
> quality would be impacted?
>
> That is pretty entertaining.  I've seen such positions, but only at very
> large and derpy companies coming from people invested in broken tooling.

I m saying that such tools as they are, are giving awful result, if we are ever
going to that can of direction, we will need to really take time to work on the
workflow and the tools, to make sure this is done a proper way, and no githun is
not doing such things a proper way, I did learn that the hardway with pkgng
developememt which is on github, I do not use anymorr at all their web tools to
do any merge.

> > btw we already have tons of tools available to just merge patches directly from
> > gnats.
> Are any of these tools available on the other side?
>
> Ie, for port submitters?

yes porttools for example, or some scripts inside Tools/scripts

regards,
Bapt