libiconv pulled in by pkg upgrade? lots of errors after that

Tijl Coosemans tijl at FreeBSD.org
Sun Feb 23 12:43:58 UTC 2014

On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 10:57:12 +0000 (UTC) Thomas Mueller wrote:
> From other posts on emailing lists, I see libiconv from ports supports
> utf-8, while base (>=10) does not.

No, utf-8 works fine with base iconv.  Base iconv does not recognise the
special encoding named "wchar_t" which means whatever encoding is used for
the C/C++ type wchar_t with libiconv.

> Now I want to know what would happen if I rebuild system with
> WITHOUT_ICONV=yes
> in /etc/src.conf
> and use libiconv from ports.
>
> Would it work, and would I have to rebuild all ports?

It would work and it's probably easiest to rebuild all ports.  Technically
you only need to rebuild these packages:

grep -Rl __bsd_iconv /usr/local | xargs -n1 pkg which | sed 's/.* //' | sort -u

> It seems including libiconv in base has adverse side effects, the two
> can clash when both base and ports libiconv are installed.

The two can coexist.  It's just that some care must be taken during
compilation.