Issues with postmaster after freebsd-update

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Feb 23 10:22:00 UTC 2014

On 23/02/2014 02:40, Kevin Oberman wrote:

>> > I finally got pkg installed, so, moving on to this and I have a question,
>> > what is the purpose of the `grep icu` pipe?
>> >
> pkg_libchk (part of sysutils/bsdafminscripts) tests all libraries and
> executables installed by all ports  for non-existant linked sharables. In
> this case, the purpose is to get a list of ports that still link to the old
> version of libicu. So pkg_libchk lists ALL files from ports that have links
> to the old libicu and then trims it to just the port name, sorts it, and
> removes dupes.

With pkg(8) installed, this might be better spelled as eg,

   # pkg shlib libicuuc.so.52

which will tell you those packages that have binaries that load that
specific shlib.  To find all the consumers of any shlib provided by the
icu-52.1 package:

   # pkg info -qb icu-52.1 | sed -e 's/.1//' | xargs -L 1 pkg shlib -R

The sed stuff is due to the lingering legacy effects of the shlib ABI
version being required to be a single integer value, whereas nowadays
more complicated version numbering schemes seem to be all the rage.

pkg-shlib could do with growing some different matching algorithms and a
less chatty mode for use in scripting.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--