new source of broken ports

Scott Bennett bennett at sdf.org
Wed Feb 19 01:52:59 UTC 2014

"Chad J. Milios" <milios at ccsys.com> wrote:

> On 2/18/2014 7:59 PM, Scott Bennett wrote:
> >       Recently I upgraded my system from 8.2-STABLE to 9.2-STABLE and began
> > the arduous process of rebuilding all of the previously installed ports.
> > As I have come to expect over the years, the loss of many such ports when
> > crossing a major release boundary resulted in a great deal of intervention
> > on my part in order to restart portmaster after encountering each newly
> > broken or deprecated port.  However, this time there seemed to be a
> > considerably larger percentage of the total that fell into this group.  In
> > a few cases, I was able to fetch and install a package as a substitute,
> > although in general I would rather have had the port built and tuned to
> > my hardware.  The packages I installed in these situations were usually
> > not up-to-date versions, and sometimes that fact made them unsatisfactory
> > to dependent ports, thus preventing those dependent ports from being built
> > successfully.
> >       While dealing with all the broken ones, I noticed that a fairly large
> > number of them, on the order of the overall increase in breakage compared to
> > earlier major release crossings, appeared to be broken not in the building or
> > the installation processes, but in an apparently new step in which a backup
> > package of the newly built port is made.  The packaging failed for several
> > possible reasons, the most common of which was that files were not where tar(1)
> > was told to find them.  In some cases of failure during this packaging step,
> > the software had already been successfully installed, so I now have quite a
> > few ports installed and usable for which there is no record in /var/db/pkg.
> > At least one of these came through today, too (shells/pdksh).  No record of
> > them means they will not be updated automatically in the future.
> >       A large number of updates to docbook ports also came through today whose
> > packaging step failed due to bad plist information, yielding errors like
> >
> > pkg_create: read_plist: unknown command '@dirrmtry share/xml/docbook' (package tools out of date?)
> > pkg_create: read_plist: unknown command '@dirrmtry share/doc/docbook-sk' (package tools out of date?)
> > pkg_create: write_plist: unknown command type -1 (share/xml/docbook)
> > *** [do-package] Error code 1
> >
> > After dealing with the first three or four of these, I'm now running portmaster
> > with "-x docbook" (in addition to "-x pdksh" and several others).
> >       Unless I missed it in the man page, portmaster offers no option to skip
> > the packing step for the newly built port, so it is unclear how to get these
> > ports properly installed and recorded in /var/db/pkg.
> >
> > [.signature deleted  --SB]
> >
> the docbook ports at least were fixed with the ports tree update about
> two hours ago. try getting the latest portsnap or svn up

     Thanks for the news.  I'll try that.  If it works, then I suppose I
should dig back through things to figure out which ones got wiped out, so
I can reinstall them.

> as for all the rest of it. i feel your pain man. :)

     Sorry to read that, though I didn't imagine I'd be the only one.  :-/

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
* Internet:   bennett at sdf.org   *or*   bennett at freeshell.org   *