Upgrading a Port on 8.2

Guido Falsi mad at madpilot.net
Tue Feb 18 13:36:47 UTC 2014

On 02/18/14 08:54, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 21:51:51 -0800
> Hi,
>
> Doug Hardie <bc979 at lafn.org> wrote:
>

>> On 17 February 2014, at 21:43, Erich Dollansky
>> <erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com> wrote:

>>> how I understand your problem, the behaviour of the machine is
>>> normal as you kept the old ports tree.
>>>
>>> If you would like to have a newer version of a port, you would have
>>> to update the ports tree first. The big but is then that you will
>>> have to update all installed ports too and then install the program
>>> you need.
>>>
>>> If you have real bad luck, this could force you even to upgrade from
>>> 8.2 to 8.4. So, be careful.
>>
>> Thats what I expected, but the question remains:  how?  Cvsup I
>> believe is no longer with us and purtupgrade apparently doesn't do
>> that either.
>
> I would suggest that you take ftp to download the current ports tree.
> It contains then a current svn. You would not need svn after this as
> the ports are downloaded by using fetch.
>
> Of course, for further updates, I would recommend moving to svn.

This is more a personal opinion, but for general production use(not
development) portsnap is a much better choice than subversion. portsnap
is usually not more than one hour behind the subversion repository, so,
if you don't really need the latest changes, it's quite fresh and much
faster at downloading updates. It's also included in base also on older
releases (10 and up have svnlite included in base too).

just an opinion though.

--
Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net>