Conflicts between libcrypto.so.8 from port vs. libcrypto.so.6 from the base

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Fri Feb 14 20:03:48 UTC 2014

While tracking down the crash in libssl on 9.2, I found that it was due
to this conflict.

First problem is that curl that I build always links with libcrypto.so.8
installed by openssl-1.0.1_9, and curl coming from the repository comes
built with  libcrypto.so.6 from the base system.
There is also the warning during curl build:
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libcrypto.so.6, needed by /usr/lib/libheimntlm.so,
may conflict with libcrypto.so.8
openssl is installed because a bunch of other ports depend on it.

So one problem is this ftp/curl build volatility (it links to
libcrypto.so.8, when security/openssl is installed even though it
doesn't depend on it).

The second problem is that the program that depends on two ports, one of
which is built with security/openssl, and another one depends on the
base openssl, will always crash due to this conflict.
And some packages are built with USE_OPENSSL and some aren't.

Shouldn't every port that needs libcrypto/libssl always depend on
security/openssl to avoid such problems?

Yuri