configure fail in a test performed with -liconv

Rodrigo OSORIO rodrigo at bebik.net
Thu Feb 13 20:37:50 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I'm dealing with an issue in irc/scrollz port. The configure script
fail and return a "getaddrinfo bug" caused by a failure when it
compiles the conftest binary.

In fact, conftest is compiled with the -liconv flag, but ld can't
found it.

Here is the command executed to compile the code

cc -o conftest -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include
-I/usr/local/include  -Wl,-rpath=/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib
-Wl,-rpath=/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib conftest.c -lcrypt -L/usr/local/lib
 -L/usr/local/lib -liconv

And the error

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -liconv
cc: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see
invocation)

Iconv isn't required in any way by the application, but the flag is
managed by the --enable-utf8 flag, if I call configure disabling utf8
support (--disable-utf8) config finish its work without error.

Any idea or suggestion?

Regards
- rodrigo