graphics/libjpeg-turbo in place of graphics/jpeg

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-ports-local at be-well.ilk.org
Tue Feb 11 14:58:10 UTC 2014

Jakub Lach <jakub_lach at mailplus.pl> writes:

> Currently, I reckon that libjpeg-turbo is a drop in replacement
> for graphics/jpeg. Unfortunately, most ports have a direct
> dependency on graphics/jpeg and will complain if it is missing[1].

Then it isn't currently a drop-in replacement.

> Is there any way to achieve that and keep pkng happy?

The pkg-plist files look similar enough that I'd expect it to work.
You didn't show the error message, so I have no idea what the
problem actually is.

> (portmaster, 10-STABLE here, I think that previously you could
> "fix" missing dependency (delete) via portmaster)

If I understand you correctly, that's a slightly different problem. Most
ports that use graphics/jpeg will be perfectly happy to build as long as
libjpeg.so exists in (by default) /usr/local/lib. The dependency won't
work correctly, and portmaster with a "-o" option might be needed to fix
this, but they should build.

[I might be out of date on this. I'm not sure offhand how it works with
pkgng, and because my build machine is powered down for the next several
hours, I can't actually check at the moment.]

> [1] 'portmaster --check-port-dbdir && portmaster --check-depends'
> Now in place of deleting a dependency, we have a question if we want
> to download a missing package (*txz).

That makes sense; the database has the dependency recorded, and since
the dependency isn't installed, portmaster tries to fix that. I think
(untested) that you need something like:
 portmaster -o graphics/libjpeg-turbo  graphics/jpeg

If I'm on the wrong foot, perhaps someone else will speak up to give you
more useful advice.