USE_GCC politic -- why so many ports has it as runtime dependency?

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Sat Feb 8 09:52:14 UTC 2014

Hello, John.
You wrote 8 февраля 2014 г., 13:37:23:

JM> No, it's all or nothing.  And you are asking people to do a tremendous
JM> amount of work to address a personal philosophy.  While I can see value
JM> in splitting out the gcc libraries into separate packages (especially
JM> when subpackages come where one can package libraries separately for
JM> free),
 It is best solution, of course. But what do I think: no pkgng could track,
which shared librearties are REALLY used, maybe, we could add some intelelct
to USE_GCC infrastructure to register runtime dependency (Ok, to full gcc
package till we have subpackages) ONLY if one if ut libraries are REALLY
used? As I've showed in previous message, package which surprises me, has
FAKE gcc dependency!

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at FreeBSD.org>