WARNING: devel/icu: recent update redners openldap-server and other ports unusable!

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Sat Feb 8 01:23:13 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 07, 2014 at 10:54:45PM +0100, O. Hartmann wrote:

> Today a couple of updates has been introduced, one of them was an
> update of port devel/icu.
>
> I the good manner/tradition of updating UPDATING, I expect a
> warning/hint/advice a couple of days from now - when everybody has
> already stepped into the mess.
>
> On several boxes running 11.0-CURRENT and 9.2-STABLE, updating ports
> including devel/icu renders many ports unusable due to a library
> version bump in libicu.
>
> After updating ports relying on devel/icu via
>
> portmaster -r devel/icu
>
> and the updating of port
>
> net/openldap24-server
>
> (which is openldap-sasl-server in my case), OpenLDAP doesn't start
> anymore on all boxes affected by the update of devel/icu!
>
> I always get the error
>
> 52f5551f hdb_db_init: Initializing HDB database
> 52f5551f olcDbDirectory: value #0: invalid path: Permission denied
> 52f5551f config error processing olcDatabase={1}hdb,cn=config:
> olcDbDirectory: value #0: invalid path: Permission denied 52f5551f
> send_ldap_result: conn=-1 op=0 p=0 52f5551f slapd destroy: freeing
> system resources. 52f5551f syncinfo_free: rid=001
> 52f5551f slapd stopped.
> 52f5551f connections_destroy: nothing to destroy.
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/slapd: WARNING: failed to start slapd
>

> This obscure
>
> olcDbDirectory: value #0: invalid path: Permission denied
>
> is not obvious to me. The server ran minutes ago BEFORE the update, the
> directories containing the DB5 databases have all the correct ownership
> (ldap:ldap, I suspected first a misconfiguration as this error seems
> typical for a misconfiguration of the ownership).
>
> Does anyone see the same problem? And maybe please would put out some
> notes in UPDATING within a considerable narrow timeframe regarding
> devel/icu! It seems, FreeBSD's ports systems get more and more messy.
>
> oh

devel/icu has nothing to do with openldap, neither with one of openldap
dependency.

Have you checked the full path to the said DB5 databases and not only the
directory containing those files?

regards,
Bapt