curl-7.34.0 +Threaded DNS resolver

Kubilay Kocak koobs.freebsd at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 23:10:54 UTC 2014

On 8/02/2014 1:51 AM, Paul Macdonald wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think there's an issue with the latest curl when Threaded DNS resolver
> is selected.
>
> On several boxes curl doesn't return for dns required requests, but does
> for ip's
>
> rebuilding without the option fixes the issue..
>

> Paul

Paul,

I came across the same issue testing a .34 port update before the recent
update, and had a quick discussion with the #curl crew on freenode with
no resolution other than further isolation:

7.33.0 - OK
7.34.0+ - NOK

IPV6 RESOLVER_THREADED - OK
NO_IPV6 RESOLVER_THREADED - NOK
NO_IPV6 RESOLVER_DEFAULT - OK
IPV6 RESOLVER_DEFAULT - OK

Note: There were no differences running the test suite, so it doesnt
look like this issue is test covered

I suggest:

- Updating the port to 7.35.0 and reporting back on whether the issue
still exists
- Test 7.34.0 with and without IPv6 OPTION with the threaded resolver
and confirm similar isolation as above

- Maintainer disables threaded resolver by default until
isolated/resolved upstream