USE_GCC politic -- why so many ports has it as runtime dependency?

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 7 16:29:58 UTC 2014

Hello, Ports.

 I was very surprised, when virtualbox-ose-additions-4.3.6, installed as
binary package on 10.0/amd64, pulled gcc "lang/gcc" (567MiB) and
"devel/binutils" (50MiB), and I don't mention mpc/mprf/gmp.

 I understand, that this package could not build with clang, Ok. But why
does it need all these developer tools AT RUNTIME?!

 It even doesn't have "libjcc.so" or "libsdc++.so" in "Shared Libs
required"!

 And it seems, that most of USE_GCC-equipped ports pull all this development
toolkit for nothing!

 Maybe, it is time to make USE_GCC work as if ":build" is specified by
default? And, yes, add additional port with gcc RUNTIME?

P.S. Should this message be CC:ed to arch@?
--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at FreeBSD.org>