[FreeBSD-Ports-Announce] Time to bid farewell to the old pkg_ tools

John Marino freebsd.contact at marino.st
Thu Feb 6 19:50:12 UTC 2014

On 2/6/2014 17:13, Randy Pratt wrote:
> My experience with mixing ports and packages dates back to 2.2.5 and
> the disasters it created.  Most of the problems were created by the
> ports tree and package builds not being syncronized.  I switched to
> ports exclusively and have not had those problems again.  If a
> mechanism existed to svn update a ports tree to the revision level of
> the package build I would probably try to use packages for most
> and limit building to those ports for which non-default OPTIONS were
> employed.  For me, this is the feature that has always been missing.

Well, there are now "Quarterly" branches.  You should be able to use
pkgs and interlace with built ports seamlessly as long as a quarterly
branch is the source of both.

But yes, using some random binary package set with the latest and
greatest ports trunk is probably going to end badly at some point.

John