Has NO_MANCOMPRESS been silently depreciated?

John Marino freebsd.contact at marino.st
Thu Feb 6 13:51:03 UTC 2014

On 2/6/2014 14:31, N.J. Mann wrote:
>> I don't believe it was ever a user variable.
> It was and still is for the base system - this machine was updated to
> 8-STABLE r261161 ten days ago and all base manual pages are
> uncompressed.

okay, that's right.
It's a case where ports honored a base variable and probably should have
created their own version instead.  When all the ports are staged, the
man page variables will be unrecognized.

>> Anyway, yes, it doesn't do anything on staged ports and it was "silently
>> removed" because it was for port maintainers only, not users.  (subject
> It _is_ a user, well administrator really, setting.  Please unremove it.

Not my call, but I can pretty much guarantee that won't happen.
Man pages are automatically handled in stage, and all of them are marked
compressed in the internal plist.  You are asking for an infrastructure
change.  We don't even know why it's important (why can't man pages be
compressed?)

John