[FreeBSD-Ports-Announce] Time to bid farewell to the old pkg_ tools

Daniel Nebdal dnebdal at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 13:05:55 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Matthias Apitz <guru at unixarea.de> wrote:
> El día Thursday, February 06, 2014 a las 01:27:50PM +0100, Julian H. Stacey escribió:
>
>> Michel Talon wrote:
>>
>> > The old package system was total =
>> > crap,
>>
>> local.sqlite is also crap, breaks decades of accessibility by find & grep
>> & other text pipe / search tools.
>
> Since many years I have always compiled "my" (i.e. the ports I need)
> from CVS or now SVN ports tree on some fast baquery maschine. After
> compiling I just did something like:
>
> # mkdir PKG
> # cd PKG
> # pkg_create -Rnb `cd /var/db/pkg ; ls -C1`
>
> and moved the resulting ~1500 packages to my laptops or smaller
> netbooks. Until today I'm still using the old pkg_info/_add/_create
> tools and skipped pkgng until today.
>
> Will the above procedure work fine too in the future?
>
> Why not keep the old methods unchanged in place as today?
>
> Thanks
>
>         matthias

The recommended way to do that is to set up poudriere. It's a
different tool, but easy enough to work with, and it has certain
benefits [1].

Obviously, that's neither a "yes" nor a "no" - and in short I don't
know how pkg supports that specific use.

[1] It's smarter about building in parallel, so it should be faster.
It also handles compiling upgraded packages better - the logic is
about the same as in portmaster/portupgrade, though building each port
in a clean jail (with dependencies installed from the packages it has
already created) reduces the risk of  contamination from old versions
on the host (typically automake scripts detecting some installed and
not-yet upgraded library that's not set as a dependency ... at least
that has happened to me a few times).
It also creates a pkg repository with the packages, so if you have
network access (nfs or http) you can use pkg to do installs or
upgrades on the "client" machines (especially upgrades are very smooth
like that).

--
Daniel Nebdal