Solved - was: Problems with linking on FreeBSD-10

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Wed Feb 5 05:48:39 UTC 2014

On 2014-Feb-04 21:38:42 +0000, "Montgomery-Smith, Stephen" <stephen at missouri.edu> wrote:
>/usr/home/stephen/sage/work/sage-6.0/local/lib contained
>libreadline.so.6.  But for ld to work, it also had to contain a link
>libreadline.so->libreadline.so.6.
>
>(Is this sort of behavior documented anywhere?)

I think it's sort-of communal mind knowlegde rather than being specifically
written down:  If the loader sees '-lfoo', it looks for libfoo.so or libfoo.a
in locations specified by -L.  If it finds libfoo.so then it will read at
internal name out of it (eg libfoo.so.5) and store that in the executable.
The rtld will then look for libfoo.so.5 using -rpath locations.

ISTR having to manually craft some libfoo.so -> libfoo.so.N during my
sage porting efforts.  The sage build process knows far too much about
toolchain innards.

--
Peter Jeremy