Massive ports update?

Colin Percival cperciva at freebsd.org
Tue Feb 4 08:45:24 UTC 2014

On 02/03/14 22:22, Xin Li wrote:
> On 2/3/14, 9:59 PM, Nikola Pavlović wrote:
>> Was there a *huge* update to ports tree tonight between around 00:20 and
>> 06:30 CET?  Portsnap just fetched 24720 patches (this is more or less
>> every port I guess), but I can't find anything in
>> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/ that would correspond to this. I'm
>> a bit worried. :)
>
> This may be related to my upgrade operation on the portsnap builder, which
> happened around UTC midnight, right after a new "snap" snapshot is taken.

I'm pretty sure this resulted from changes to libarchive / bsdtar.  With
them generating different tarballs for the same input, the portsnap build
thinks that everything has changed.

... there's actually code on the portsnap builder to revert such changes,
but I don't think delphij knew about it and I didn't realize he was
upgrading the portsnap builder until too late.

--
Colin Percival