[FreeBSD-Ports-Announce] Time to bid farewell to the old pkg_ tools

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Mon Feb 3 21:25:11 UTC 2014

> be beneficial in a very short amount of time.  Even if you prefer to
> compile from source,

I use source, rarely if ever use packages, (except pkg_delete
to remove old broken dependencies). No opinion which scrips are better.

> you will still reap the benefits of the modern
> packaging system.

In 10.0 FreeBSD `reaped the benefit` of a default new horrible
registry that smells like Microsoft with quasi binary local.sqlite
needing special tools.  (Yes I know there's an export function.)

For 2 decade we've poured scorn on Microsoft & its opaque easily
damaged hard to access registry, & lauded how with FreeBSD we can
examine & manipulate & repair our text based equivalent with any
number of personal choice text tools, & now FreeSBD is burdened by
this horrible Microsoft style registry.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultant, Munich http://berklix.com
 Interleave replies below like a play script.  Indent old text with "> ".