libiconv on 10.0-RELEASE
madpilot at FreeBSD.org
Sat Feb 1 07:42:35 UTC 2014
On 02/01/14 08:36, nano wrote:
>>> I appreciate your advice, but I think I will wait before updating these
>>> ports. Hopefully things get cleaned up a bit. I would not be happy if
>>> something breaks.
>> I understand. I still have not had a good look at r341775 and have only
>> built ports affected by it in poudrirere, and using them as binary
>> packages, which works fine.
> I may create a jail to somewhat emulate my live environment and conduct
> a test run to see if any problems arise.
As a personal suggestion, if you have the expertise to do that, you
should investigate using poudriere to build your own binary packages
repository and upgrade your live, production systems from there.
This has the advantage that packages are built in clean environments and
you can spot build problems on poudriere before even touching the systems.
With such a system you would proceed to upgrade the live systems only
after you have a successful package building run. It would not save you
from runtime problems (problems which show up only when a program
actually runs), but would help for build and packaging problems.
> Thanks for the intel. I'm happy to wait, I understand these things take
> time. I'd rather play it safe than be sorry. The upgrade may succeed
> without a hitch, but, if not, I'd lose more time to fixing things than
> waiting in the first place, I suspect.
> If I do recreate an environment to test, I will notify you of my
> results. Thanks again.
Guido Falsi <madpilot at FreeBSD.org>
More information about the freebsd-ports