[x11-wm/fvwm2] Build failure with Clang

A.J. 'Fonz' van Werven freebsd at skysmurf.nl
Mon Dec 29 09:30:58 UTC 2014

Dimitry Andric wrote:

>> now building x11-wm/fvwm2 with Clang fails with a linking error at
>> FvwmGtk. But with lang/gcc48 it rather strangely builds just fine.
>
> I've tried building this port with various options enabled and disabled,
> but I cannot reproduce your linking errors.  If I would have to guess, I
> would say that either Fvwm or gtk headers are using inline functions,
> and are counting on "gnu89" inline semantics.
>
> If that is the case, you can try to add the following line to
> x11-wm/fvwm2/Makefile:
>
> USE_CSTD=	gnu89

Thanks, that did fix it.

I still find it puzzling, though. As far as I can tell, the port itself
hasn't changed except for the Imlib and/or PNG dependencies. And those
built perfectly fine without USE_CSTD=gnu89. So I'm at a loss as to what
could have been changed that makes Fvwm2 suddenly require gnu89.

AvW

--
Imbibo, ergo sum.