Removal of XAA acceleration in X.org, and older NVIDIA GeForce

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+freebsd at ijs.si
Tue Dec 23 15:20:22 UTC 2014

Mark Martinec wrote:
> Good suggestion! It does seem to draw screen and scroll
> much faster than NV (although it seems to stall from time
> to time (like unresponsive mouse) on a busy host).
> Will need to test more thoroughly tomorrow when poudriere
> builds will be over. Thanks!

Actually it did not turn out well. Although nvidia-driver-304 with
a GeForce 7300 GT does not suffer from slow scrolls and slow rendering
of web pages, it frequently stalls (like every minute) and nothing
happens for a dozen of seconds: mouse cannot move a cursor, a cursor
may even temporarily disappear, typing on an xterm or konsole window
is unresponsive. It appears as if a host is terribly busy, even though
it is not (the yesterday's poudriere build was over, and I even
rebooted the host, with nvidia driver loaded by a boot loader
this time).

After a dozen of seconds or so, things get back at being responsive
again, until the next lockup. Occasionally a window may become
scrambled, but rectifies itself after a while. After trying to
work in this situation for a while, eventually screen turned black,
with a host totally locked up - not even responding to ssh or ping
or ctrl alt F1, or a soft ACPI power off button, so had to be
forcibly rebooted.

So in the end I had to revert back to the NV driver, which is
now slow, but at least is stable and consistent. I guess we need
to start looking for a new graphics board, quite unfortunate.

   Mark