math/atlas in poudriere ?

Don Lewis truckman at FreeBSD.org
Wed Dec 17 21:02:02 UTC 2014

On 17 Dec, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> Hi!
>
> If I build math/atlas in poudriere (bulk), it says:
>
> [00:02:58] ====>> [02][00:00:00] Finished build of math/atlas: Ignored: has to be built manually: Optimizes for the local machine.
>
> What can I do to get this to build using poudriere ?

What I do is comment out the MANUAL_PACKAGE_BUILD line in my local copy
of the Makefile, but then I manually rebuild the port from source on an
idle machine so that the tuning is done correctly on the machine where
it is installed.  I only do this because I have other ports that are
configured to use atlas as a dependency and I want to build them with
poudriere and install them with pkg.  Other than that, the
poudriere-built atlas package is useless.  The atlas build relies on
runtime timing of various alternative algorithms to find the fastest,
and the load on the machine from other ports being built in parallel
will disturb the timing which may cause the build to chose a slower
algorithm.  It's even worse if the package is built on one machine and
installed on another, because the best algorithm depends on the
CPU/motherboard/RAM combo.