Discrepancy in postgresql entry in UPDATING

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Tue Dec 16 11:36:17 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 05:41:30PM -0800, Darren Pilgrim wrote:
> The entry reads:
>
> 20141208:
[...]
>    When using binary packages, if you only use the client port, you can
>    issue the following command to follow the default version:
>
>    # pkg set -o databases/postgresql92-client:databases/postgresql93-client
>
> The problem is pg_upgrade requires both the old and new versions be
> installed concurrently--something pkg/ports can't do.  So how are we
> supposed to upgrade?

With pg_upgrade, I found the best method to be:

- locally build the two postgres versions you're interested in from the
  Postgres distfiles.
- run pg_upgrade from one of them

and don't bother with the packages.

The Postgres packages are fine for regular operation but like you said,
not really adapted for this kind of one shot operation IMHO.

--
Francois Tigeot