poudriere: bulk.sh: cpdup: Permission denied

Alfred Perlstein bright at mu.org
Mon Dec 15 21:50:26 UTC 2014

Thanks Craig.

Replies below.

> On Dec 15, 2014, at 12:21 PM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 10:20 AM, Alfred Perlstein <alfred at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> Hey folks, I'm trying to get started with poudriere.  I pulled from the latest version 3.1.1 (9f9e43d3).
>

>> /usr/home/alfred/poudriere/src/share/poudriere/bulk.sh: cpdup: Permission denied
>
> cpdup is a binary (not shell script) which gets installed as part of the poudriere distribution.
> It looks like you haven't got it installed right in your setup.
> I advise you to install the poudriere-devel port instead of pulling poudriere directly from git and building it.

That won't work as I'm doing development on poudriere.

> The other thing I would recommend that you do is to check out the freebsd10 branch
> from https://github.com/freenas/freenas repository, and build it once.  Then look at:'
>
> https://github.com/freenas/freenas/tree/freebsd10/build/ports
> https://github.com/freenas/freenas/blob/freebsd10/build/ports/build-ports.sh
>
> to see how poudriere is invoked to build the ports in FreeNAS.

Will do, thanks for the pointer.

> If you want to enable tracing in poudriere, then use "-x" as the first flag write after poudiere.  For example:
>
> poudriere -x bulk

Yup, done that already.

Problem is that Bourne shell debugging is terrible. -x does not give line numbers, nor functions, nor files.

Spent some time trying to do things using PS4 variable but it was for naught because $LINENO and $0 don't work properly in PS4 as far as I can tell in our version of Bourne shell. Bash on the other hand seems to have better support for expanding useful things into PS4, however it's still very poor as compared to the facilities of let's say Python or Ruby or probably even Javascript.

I hear now that poudriere is being migrated to C of all things which IMO is a huge mistake. Almost as bad as having it in shell.

As someone that would *like* to contribute to poudriere, (see my github which has patches already) I'm hoping the maintainers can look at using a high level language that offers debugging as well as built in string safety as opposed to going to an even more low level system. Moving to C would make that just more pain than it seems worth.

-Alfred.