Unbound/NSD rc startup order

Matt Smith fbsd at xtaz.co.uk
Thu Dec 11 10:51:44 UTC 2014

Hi,

I have run Unbound and NSD for a long time and everything was working
fine until the recent 1.5.x update for Unbound. Now if I reboot my
server I get DNSSEC validation errors for my own local domain until I
restart Unbound once again. I believe this is possibly related to the rc
startup order.

My setup is that I have my local domain as an authoritative DNSSEC
signed zone in NSD and then I use a stub-zone in Unbound which points to
the NSD instance.  I also hard-wire the DNSSEC key for this domain into
Unbound using a trust-anchor-file declaration.

When I rebooted my server last night this domain was failing validation
with this error:

info: validation failure <host.example.com. A IN>: no DNSKEY rrset for
trust anchor example.com. while building chain of trust

If I restart unbound again then it works fine. The default rcorder is to
start Unbound first followed by Unbound. I'm wondering if since 1.5.x
Unbound now attempts to read some data from the stub-zone which fails
because NSD isn't running but then when I restart it it works
successfully?

As a test I added nsd as a REQUIRE in the unbound rc.d script, rebooted
again, and saw that it successfully worked as it did before I upgraded.
It could just be an unrelated coincidence, but if it isn't I'm thinking
the default rc order should maybe be changed for these ports?

--
Matt