Any tool known to demangle special chars in MS tree path names ?

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Tue Dec 9 23:06:02 UTC 2014

Kevin Oberman wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 8:18 AM, Julian H. Stacey <jhs at berklix.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi ports@
> > Is there a utility in ports/ to automatically clean disgusting path
> > names in big trees one acquires from Microsoft users ?
> >
> > Trees with in both directories & filenames, masses of meta characters
> > such as as ' ` . * | \ & space (& accents & high parity bit national
> > extensions eg german umlauts) etc.
> >
> > It's known:
> >         tr exists,
> >         find has -X
> >         xargs has -0
> >         One can delimit path names on command line,
> >         One could reinvent the wheel, writing & improving a scarey
> >         shell script (that would probably break while debugging &
> >         trash some data)
> >
> > But I'm looking for something better, that probably already exists, that
> > will permanently clean trees, to no longer need to delimit various
> > utilities against nasty names, each time tree is accessed.
> >
> > Either:
> >         An existing tool (preferably C) one can run automatically
> >         to forcibly rename dirs & files in a Unix friendly manner ?
> >
> > Or if none exists I'll write a C program to run from find.
> >         If so, I'll probably just map nasty chars inc. any high bit
> >         parity (accents umlauts & other noise) to eg "0xAB" expansion.
> >         ( I dont care about national accents & char sets. )
> >
> > PS Assume files are big, copying not viable, rename/mv via link & unlink
> > best.
> >
> > Any tools (URLs) known ?  Or should I write my own ?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Julian

> Around  decade or so ago I was looking for a tool to clean up all of the
> Microsoft "special" characters in web pages. I found "demoroniser", a
> public domain tool written by "John Walker". As is, it does not meet your
> needs, but  goes a long way in the right direction. It expects to work with
> files, not directory trees, but modifying to would be quite trivial, mostly
> wrapping it in a recursive loop that uses opendir, readdir, and closedir to
> walk the tree and feed it the directory names. (No, I am not volunteering.)
>
> Most notably, it is written in Perl, not C. Perl is now very of of fashion.
>
> In any case, it is available at:
> http://www.fourmilab.ch/webtools/demoroniser/
> --
> Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired

Thanks Kevin,
I re-read man tr, & cludged 2 shells & notes, which forced what I needed:
	http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/bin/.sh/tonoquotes

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Linux Unix C Sys Eng Consultant Munich http://berklix.com
 Indent previous with "> ".  Interleave reply paragraphs like a play script.