Tomcat7: Unable to stop process (unlike tomcat6)

Mike Jakubik mike.jakubik at intertainservices.com
Mon Dec 8 23:16:43 UTC 2014

Hello,

I've Noticed that the rc.d script for tomcat7 has changed from version
6. In tomcat6 a function called tomcat_stop() would force kill after a
certain timeout, this no longer happens in tomcat7 and sometimes we are
unable to stop it using the rc.d script, it just sits there waiting for
PID.

In tomcat6 we had:

tomcat_stop() {
         rc_pid=$(tomcat_check_pidfile $pidfile)

         if [ -z "$rc_pid" ]; then
                 [ -n "$rc_fast" ] && return 0
                 echo "${name} not running? (check $pidfile)."
                 return 1
         fi

         echo "Stopping ${name}."
         ${java_command} stop
         tomcat_wait_max_for_pid ${tomcat%%TOMCAT_VERSION%%_stop_timeout}
${rc_pid}
         kill -KILL ${rc_pid} 2> /dev/null && echo "Killed."
         rm -f ${pidfile}
}

This function is no longer available in the version 7 rc.d script, is
there any way it can be modified to function like in version 6?

Thank you.