pkg check -s -a output unusable/incomplete

Milan Obuch freebsd-ports at dino.sk
Sun Dec 7 08:43:53 UTC 2014

Hi,

today it occured to me due some power outage or something unexpected
like that caused filesystem breakage. fsck with journal was not able to
repair damage and the result was repeated restart. It is a virtual
machine on HyperV hypervisor, by the way, but that is irrelevant to the
problem I like to report and ask for solution if known or some hints.

Basically, there are 91 ports/packages installed, everything works
normally well. Then, issuing command 'pkg check -s -a' to find damages
I was able to identify package, p5-Locale-gettext-1.05_4, as one with
some damage to its files, but no more clue thereafter, that's what I
got:

# pkg check -s -a
Checking all packages:   2%
pkg: pkg_create_from_dir(lstat failed): No such file or directory
Checking all packages:  24%
pkg: pkg_create_from_dir(lstat failed): No such file or directory
Checking all packages: 100%
#

I knew I needed to rebuild/reinstall asterisk (some modules were not
able to load, which manifests itself clearly so is easily
identifiable), after that, the same command's output somewhat changed:

# pkg check -s -a
Checking all packages:  24%
pkg: pkg_create_from_dir(lstat failed): No such file or directory
Checking all packages: 100%
#

and no idea now which package needs reinstall.

Any idea on this one? There is no indication which file does not exist
(and should, it would not be checked for in the first place if that's
not the case) nor package name which should be reinstalled in order to
fix the issue.

Regards,
Milan